THE FOUNDATIONS OF THE MINISTRY
The official name for Aglow is Aglow International. Correct terms to use are: Aglow International (nation), and Aglow International in (City)
The word Aglow is taken from Romans 12:11 in The Amplified Bible: “Never lack in zeal and earnest endeavor; be aglow and burning with the Spirit.”
Aglow began in 1967 as a Christian women’s ministry and was opened to women of all denominations. Long before an official announcement was made in 2009 by the International Board of Directors to welcome men in Aglow, men saw what God was doing among women and began forming groups for men in 2003. Today men and women are welcome to participate in all God is doing through Aglow.
Currently, Aglow is mobilizing millions around the world into a company of warriors, champions, and global leaders of significance. In each nation powerful Kingdom communities are being founded on the fullness of Christ where people are empowered to develop resources that enable them to take advantage of all that God is releasing from Heaven.
OUR STATEMENT OF BELIEF
As a tri-generational, transdenominational, Kingdom community, we recognize there may be cultural differences in interpretation of the Bible among Christians; however, there are certain basic Biblical beliefs to which all Aglow leaders must believe and submit to in order to serve in a place of leadership.
- We believe in the one and only triune God. We acknowledge there is one true God consisting of three distinct persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God, was conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, crucified, died, was buried and resurrected. He ascended into Heaven and is now seated at the right hand of God the Father and is true God and true man.
- We believe that the Bible is the Word of God, fully inspired and written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and is our rule of faith and practice.
- We believe that all are born sinners; the Holy Spirit convicts of sin; the Lord Jesus Christ paid the price for sin by shedding His precious blood on the cross as the atonement for sin; those who refuse to accept His sacrifice for their sin are eternally lost; and those who repent of their sin and personally accept the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior receive the forgiveness of sin and life everlasting and are indwelt by the Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the baptism in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance, that all the gifts of the Holy Spirit are valid and operative today, and that the fruit of the Holy Spirit should be increasingly evident in a Christian’s life.
- We believe that the redemptive work of the Lord Jesus Christ provides healing for our spirit, soul, and body.
- We believe that we should obey Jesus’ command to preach the gospel to all the world.
- We believe that the members of the Body of Christ are the Church and that they should regularly fellowship with others in a local church setting.
- We believe in and look for the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ.
AGLOW’S VISION AND MISSION STATEMENT
One of the most important things to come out of the Aglow International Board of Directors Meeting in 2012 was a new vision and mission statement and a new set of core values. As we have seen and felt God moving us to a new place in Him, we realized that our mission statement must be upgraded.
Since Aglow began in 1967, we have had several mission statements. As our identity became more in focus, our statements grew to reflect that identity.
In the past, we have referred to the statement that guides us as a mission statement. Today, we are renaming that statement that inspires us to action as a vision statement.
In looking at the meaning of the words “vision” and “mission,” perhaps the easiest way to explain the use of vision over mission is to add “ary” to each word and look at their definitions. A visionary is someone who is casting vision for the future – the big picture. A missionary is one who carries out the work of that vision.
A good vision statement is inspiring. It is a statement that is both bold and broad. It is a statement that encompasses everything we do and leaves expansion for our future. Vision is not about direction. It is about the height a movement wishes to achieve.
To carry the truth of the Kingdom that:
- Restores people to a radiant place of relationship with God and one another
- Breaks the tyranny of oppression
- Brings freedom and empowerment
Our mission statement explains how we intend to do the things our vision statement says. An effective mission statement is specific and descriptive of the actual work to be undertaken by a movement. It should answer the questions, “Why do we exist?” and “What do we do?” With that in mind, our new mission statement is:
Aglow International is a Kingdom Movement committed to seeing God’s will done on earth as it is in Heaven. We do this through:
- Mobilizing millions into a company of warriors, champions, and global leaders of significance.
- Establishing powerful Kingdom Communities founded on the fullness of Christ in every nation of the world.
(Mission Statement continued)
- Empowering people to develop resources that enable them to take advantage of all that God is releasing from Heaven.
- Forming apostolic teams that demonstrate the power of Heaven in the darkest places of earth.
- Cultivating a worldwide presence that creates an atmosphere of celebration, impartation, and restoration.
Tag lines change from time to time. In March 2012, a new tag line replaced “a network of caring women” and “bringing global vision to a woman’s world.” While we still are a network who cares and brings global vision, we have grown to a new place that encompasses so much more. Aglow’s new tag line is:
EVERY NATION TOUCHED, EVERY HEART CHANGED
We encourage you to take time to read over the Vision and Mission Statements and memorize the tag line. Let them sink into your spirit. As was spoken to us at our International Conference in Houston, “Aglow has grown up. We have passed our tests. It is the time of our arising!” It is time for us to step into who we are and we must do this individually, as well as, corporately.
God has spoken three mandates to Aglow. They are prophetic, apostolic and end-time in nature and work hand-in-hand with Aglow’s Vision and Mission Statements.
The three mandates, spoken in ten-year segments, (see below) coupled with a strong foundation of prayer and evangelism, have served to form the direction of the ministry in powerful ways.
Our mandates are:
- To promote gender reconciliation between male and female in the Body of Christ as God designed from Genesis 1-3. (1981)
- To answer God’s call to reach out in love to the Muslim people (1991)
- To stand in loving support for Israel and the Jewish people, while helping to bring awareness to the Body of Christ concerning God’s plans and purposes for the nation of Israel. (2001)
As Aglow Leaders, we are privileged to be called, commissioned, and entrusted by God to work with Him on behalf of the mandates.
AGLOW’S CORE VALUES
As a Kingdom Community, Aglow International is absolutely committed to…
- God’s Presence
Creating an atmosphere and environment of worship for the presence of God to be encountered. (Psalm 22:3)
Treating each other with integrity, openness, honesty, non-negotiable love and goodness. (1 Peter 4:8)
Partnering with God for the redemption of all things according to the Gospel.
Standing firm against everything that enslaves. (Galatians 5:1)
Bringing every identity into alignment with the purposes of God.
(Romans 12:2, Ephesians 4:22-24)
- The Beloved
Living as a community who knows they are the beloved, and establishes their identity as the Bride. (Song of Solomon 7:10, Ephesians 1:6)
Demonstrating goodness as the power of God to always overcome evil.
(Romans 12:21, Acts 10:38)
Having radiant encounters with God, leading to a brilliant experience of who Christ is in us. (Ephesians 1:17-20)
- God’s Kingdom
Expressing the nature of God through reconciliation, to the world He loves.
(2 Corinthians 5:18-20, Colossians 1:19,20)
- Supernatural Power
Moving in signs, wonders and miracles to demonstrate the heaven-to-earth nature of life in the Spirit. (Mark 16:17-18, 1 Corinthians 12:4-11)